Tuesday, June 2, 2009

kairos moments - Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday

Okay, Jessica Tingen and I are going to be leading a women's huddle (discipleship group) starting later this summer. In preparation of that beginning we meet with Doug every Thursday night and he leads us through a series of conversations/lessons designed to help us better hear/respond to God's voice in our lives. We call these moments of clarity kairos moments. And this week he asked us to write one down every day. I did that on Friday and have been making mental notes of them throughout the weekend. But today I'm going to jot them down on my blog before they slip out of my left ear (along with the location of my keys and my husband's date of birth:-). 

Saturday: Saturday was a day of rest. A real one. As part of my weekly rhythm of rest Doug watches Avery for two hours on Saturday for me to go to the pool and hang out. This time Jessica Tingen came with me. We read books (I'm reading Absolute Truths by Susan Howatch, which is amazing so far). Then we had lunch and just enjoyed the sunshine. It was such a beautiful day and the breeze softly billowed through the area, occasionally breaking the heat. Later we brought Avery and set her in the shade (she's too little to be in the hot sun) and the three of us just hung out. Days like that feel like such a gift. I found myself grateful for everything - for Jess, for the food, for Avery, for Doug taking her for me to get time by myself, for the beauty of the day, the feeling of the sun, the relaxation finding its way through my body. Nothing profound. Just a little joy on a Saturday afternoon.

Sunday: Sunday we had the pleasure of worshiping with some friends new to the eikon community - Brian and Jennifer Williams. Brian is a super talented art director I work with. He's smart, articulate and incredibly thoughtful. His wife Jennifer is pregnant with their first child, a little girl. (yay!!!) We had dinner with them about a month ago and they visited eikon before Memorial Day. They returned last Sunday night and we invited them to dinner with us, Jake and Kristin Seward after. For me, it was an opportunity to share with them what is one of the greatest blessings in our lives - community. We have these amazing friends who are always there - supportive, encouraging, challenging (in a wonderful way). We take it for granted on occasion and can sometimes forget that it's not something everyone has. Upon meeting Brian and Jennifer for the second time, some of the people in our small group offered to help them move later this month. They seemed surprised that we'd all take a Saturday to help move boxes and get them settled. And I was reminded that not everyone knows that kind of loving community. Later that night the six of us had dinner and they really seemed to hit it off with Jake and Kristin. This is utterly unsurprising, because the Sewards are amazing. It sounds cheesy, but I felt like I was sharing a gift by introducing them to people I love so much. It was like they were this well kept amazing secret and we got to share them with another couple who will now get the rewards of the rich friendship we so often enjoy. I was on the other end of the table tending to Avery and as much as selfishly I wanted to be in the middle of the conversation, I was really grateful that they were finding things in common and sparking what I hope will be a new friendship. I had this moment where I thought, "this is what it's all about. We are the body of Christ, living in the resurrected kingdom. And it feels SO GOOD to share that with others." I don't know what will come of those relationships, but it felt like this beautiful glimpse of the future.

Monday: Monday around 5:30 I was driving home to relieve Doug from Avery so he could have some time to prep for his men's huddle (and get dinner with him before the guys came over). While I was driving home I was talking to Doug on the phone and I heard Avery screaming. I asked him what was wrong and he said she was just freaking out and that he was going to put her in her crib. I know that he's perfectly capable of taking care of her. But I also knew that I could comfort her. And the anguish in her little scream broke my heart. He had to get off the phone to put her down and I just hit the gas (not in a dangerous way:-). All I could think was, "I have to get home to my baby." All I wanted was to comfort her. Hold her. Reassure her that everything would be okay. It made me think about Jesus saying that God is close to those who are heartbroken, weak and weary. If I had such a strong compulsion to rush to the side of my little girl at the sound of one of her cries I have to imagine God feels the same way. I can see how He would be closest to us in those moments when we cry out. I would have done anything to get to her when she needed me. Anything. So great is my love for her. I still struggle... really struggle to understand God's love for me - but I definitely think he lends my perspective by allowing such a great capacity for love of our own children. 

Tuesday: I have an intern reporting to me this summer. She's a second year graduate student at the VCU Brand Center - and unlike the uber young "cool chasers" out to change culture through exclusive brands and millennial focused projects (i.e. her 23 year old peers) - she's a few years older than me, married to her high school sweetheart with a four year old son. She's also very smart and very impressive given the fact that she competed with her entire class for one of two spots at Martin this summer. I'm lucky to have her on my team. Meeting with her over coffee this morning to brief her on the brand, consumer, etc. - I had so much fun and was just reflecting on the fact that I really love teaching/coaching people. The thing I love most about managing my team is not just imparting knowledge, but creating opportunities for them to learn, grow and shine. I like working for them. Championing them. I really want to pour myself into her this summer and help her along her way. I think discipleship is a lot like that. Only I have confidence in my professional life that I am worth imitating. In my spiritual life I'm far less sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment